Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Confessions of a Lazy Mom

I am lazy.  L-A-Z-Y, lazy.  I am out of shape.  More often than not my house is a mess---not the general clutter generated by small children in a small house, but actually dirty---crumbs, cobwebs, fingerprints.  I haven't worn my hair down and styled since some time before Halloween and I believe my last haircut was in July.  I haven't spent any consistent quality time in the bible since before the baby was born, and the "baby" will be 16 months old on Friday.  Don't get me wrong; I AM busy, which can explain some of the general clutter in my life, but the fact of the matter is, I am lazy. 

I know lazy is a strong word but I am not using it lightly or in jest.  I am admitting, out loud (okay, not actually out loud, but you get the idea) that I have a major, core character flaw and laziness is its name.  I am lazy based on the basic, definition of the word:



la·zy  
/ˈlāzē/
  1. Unwilling to work or use energy.
  2. Characterized by lack of effort or activity.
In my spare time, which DOES exist, I AM the above definition!  Since I know and believe that the first step to change is admitting you have a problem, I have tried to confess this before---to family, to friends, to strangers I make conversation with in random places.  Generally, people laugh me off or pat my hand and tell me I'm doing a great job.  After all, I am a wife, mother of four, part-time registered dietitian, Sunday school teacher and volunteer at church......  My life certainly has enough people and activities to keep me more than busy, and I do appreciate that the people who know and love me want to make excuses for me.  But even legitimate excuses are still excuses.  I am lazy.
It is odd really,  because looking back on my life, I have accomplished many impressive, interesting, and worthwhile things; therefore, I do not usually appear lazy to the casual observer, or often, even to those close to me. Most people who know me, especially in my younger years, would say I was highly motivated and extrememly driven.  I was valedictorian of my high school class, was a scholarship track athlete at a Division I University and graduated with a degree in Dietetics.  I have run a marathon, gone skydiving, married my high school sweetheart, birthed four children without the aid of an epidural, and developed a real relationship with Jesus Christ thanks to a wonderful group of ladies who took the time to introduce me to him.  I do valuable and worthwhile things every day at home, at work, at church; but in my spare time.....in my down time......I am lazy.
I have lots of great ideas and great intentions for the future as well. I want to compete in a triathlon, repaint my living room, take time to visit people at our local nursing home each week, plant a garden, teach my girls to sew, create scrapbooks for my children and grandchildren to "remember when", adopt an orphan, plan a surprise party for my husband's 40th........What?  He turned 40 last November?  Uhhhhhh, okay, that is a perfect example of what I am talking about.  Great ideas, great intentions, very little follow through. Why is this????  I do have some insight into the deeper answer, as why we do the things we do is not always simply explained, but that is for another day, or days.   For now, the simple answer WILL do........at my core, I am a lazy person.   I label myself lazy because it is true.   
Ouch.  The truth hurts.
Therefore, today, as I take the first step of the rest of my race called life, I ask that you join me.  My only promise is to do my best to be honest as I attempt to tackle projects and goals that would typically send me into a frozen state of anxiety and indecision.  If you are lazy too, let's support and encourage each other on in this race.  If you are a "get it done" type, then please offer suggestions and insight.  (please?)
Whew!  Confession is good for the soul!  Now that I have all of that off my chest, I need to finish getting the Christmas tree down and put away.  Why are you laughing?  Do you think that I'm kidding?  If I weren't too lazy to figure out how to post pics on here, I would prove it.
I am a lazy mom running........where to, remains to be seen.

2 comments:

  1. Did you write that about me! Love it! Good luck with your blog. I started a blog also last Nov. hoping to help myself pick up the pace at home. Funny how such productive people outside the home can get lost in the struggles of daily cleaning. In reference to your second article, I too go to bed with a messy kitchen. Maybe you'll find some support in my similar struggles. (scratchpaperessays.com) Great posts Jen. Sam

    ReplyDelete